Dedicated to vintage stock car racing.
GOTRA is not for the person that has to have all-out competition-- this group is about having fun.
If you feel the need to always win, there are other classes of racing out there!
Bill Flegg, IMCA Modified #27, taking a tumble!!
PRIOR to racing with GOTRA you must...(THIS MEANS BEFORE YOU EVER GET TO A TRACK!!).............
1. Fill out an application for General Membership and pay the annual fee.
2. Read, understand and agree to the rules.
3. Have your car inspected.
4. Fill out the driver application form.
5. If you have not kept your membership current or if you are a new driver, you will need to be recommended by a GOTRA member. The steering committee will vote on your becoming a Driver Member.
6. Sign the waiver form.
2003 RACING SEASON RULES.......
1. HAVE FUN!!
2. Cars and drivers must meet ALL safety rules.
3. All cars will display "Good Ol' Time Racing Association" sticker (cost $7.50).
4. All drivers must be MEMBERS! ONE DRIVER PER NIGHT, Limit of two drivers per car per season. ALL DRIVERS must attend a spring or fall meeting.
5. Drivers must be at least 16 years old, (under 18 with parent's consent)--ALL drivers must have a valid driver's license and vision restrictions must be followed to race!
6. No alcohol/drugs/medications that alter your reflexes or reaction time (including over the counter medicines).
7. Drive with the guy in front of you. (Penalties will be assessed on an individual basis.)
8. Cars need to run tight in a group, Back off if there is not a car beside you or challenging you from behind. If someone is consistently running way ahead of the pack, they will be subject to a restrictor plate OR THROTTLE STOP.
9. Each car will be allowed just one trophy per season, trophy dash OR feature.
10. Any car,driver or member that races with another group competing for the same tracks as GOTRA AND OR WITHIN 125 MILES OF FREMONT, NE., will consider such their resignation from GOTRA, and will preclude them from future membership. (IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, CONTACT THE GOTRA PROMOTER BEFORE YOU RACE!!)
11. No radio communication devices.
12. We know that there may be disagreements from time to time, but let's try to get along and remember that RULE #1 is why we're here!!
SAFETY EQUIPMENT.... Let's keep everyone SAFE!!
2. Fire extinguisher (within driver's reach)- STRICTLY ENFORCED.
3. Good (3) three inch - five (5) point harness (NOT worn or rotted)- date doesn't apply.
4. DOT approved full face helmet with shield.
5. SFI approved fuel cell is mandatory, with tip-over valve, no PCV type valves allowed. Fuel cell can is recommended for 2003 and REQUIRED for 2004.
6. Fully enclosed firewall between fuel cell and driver.
7. Window net or arm restraints
8. Top must be enclosed over driver (at least 24" by 24").
9. Doors must be fastened shut,
10. Fan shroud
11. Battery must be fastened down in a plastic boat box if it's in the driver's compartment. If it's in the trunk, it must be securely fastened down behind the firewall.
12. Six point rollcage (no exhaust tubing cages!), mandatory door bars (minimum of two), we encourage three (one can be removable). If the car had an existing roll cage, check it carefully, they often rust from within.
13. Electric fuel pumps are only allowed on flatheads, it must have a mercury or inertia switch, running light, and well marked kill switch.
14. MANDATORY- IGNITION KILL SWITCH WITHIN DRIVER'S REACH WHEN YOU ARE BELTED IN. Clearly marked ON/OFF. A MASTER POWER SWITCH is recommended for all cars.
15. If you use a fiberglass seat, there must be a steel plate from the bottom of the seat up the back to shoulder height.
16. Numbers and accompanying letters ( i.e 4x, 2m, etc.) must be at least 2" wide and at least 18" tall and on both sides of the car in contrasting colors. Numbers from 0 to 99 may be used.
17. Safety tie down chains required on motor.
18. Solid front firewall and full floor from firewall to behind driver is required, must cover bell housing and transmission.
19. Cast iron bell housing or steel scatter shield (preferred). If aluminum bell housing is used, you must have a 1/4" steel plate covering the top and sides of the bell housing.
20. No more than 10% rubber fuel line, 90% must be copper, aluminum, steel or braided racing line.
THE PURPOSE OF THESE SAFETY RULES IS TO KEEP EVERYONE SAFE!
1. OEM straight axle (no aftermarket front axles)-- if altered or strengthened, 50% of the OEM axle must be exposed, no more that a 4" drop is allowed, with non-adjustable ball joints.
2. Leaf springs only, front and rear. Pan hard bars allowed. No coil-over or torsion suspension, NO half leafs. NO 4 link suspension, NO fifth arm on rear end, NO shock on top of rear end or any other type of traction devices, i.e. traction bars.
3. Shocks- one per wheel.
4. Good working four wheel brakes. Random testing may be performed.
5. Steering- must have a steering box, can use power steering or rack and pinion.
6. TIRES- 11" ON REAR. 9.5" on front, mounted on 8" or smaller rim. You may use racing or standard tires. No snow or mud tires. No unilug wheels.
7. Frame- if you replace it, it must have OEM frame rails (truck frame o.k.) and OEM width. Try to keep the frame in proportion to the body. No wheelbases shorter than 105". NO tube frames, NO channel iron frames.
8. Body: the body must be an American made, 1926-1948 American made coupe or sedan, no pick-ups. The body must be steel, no fiberglass. The body must be of original width but may be channeled over the frame. Doors, hood and trunk lid must fasten securely. A hood must be used which covers the radiator cap. NO wings.
9. The car should be kept lookin good, painted, clean and presentable in appearance. Keep the cars looking like old race cars...motor close to stock position, radiators in front.
10. Bumpers- Rear, no wider than the center of the rear tires. Front- no wider than the frame rails, but must extrude at least 4" forward from front tires.
11. If weight blocks are used, they must be secured with 1/2" bolts, weights will be painted white and have the car number on them.
12. Nerf bars are mandatory- not to extend past the outside edge of the tires.
13. Weight minimum of 2500 pounds with driver.
1. V-8- American made small block, 330 cubic inch or smaller, (one ) unmodified (IN ANY WAY) 2-barrel carburetor of 500 cfm or less, unmodified in any way, with no more than a one inch spacer or one inch adapter under the carburetor. Cast iron heads OEM aluminum or cast iron intake, flat top pistons only, (no pistons protruding above the surface of the block), maximum measured compression of 200 psi per cylinder, Any exhaust, any ignition. Basically a junkyard V-8 with a racing cam. Crank Must match OEM stroke, not to exceed 330 cubic inches, stock cranks unmodified in any way and stock parts. No aftermarket cranks. No bowtie or Dart heads. No VORTEC heads. No stroker motors, NO ROLLER components of any type!(NO ROLLER CAMS, NO ROLLER LIFTERS, NO ROLLER TIP ROCKERS) NO fuel injection OR turbo chargers.
2. Inline 6- American made, stock automotive parts only. 330 cubic inch or smaller,Crank MUST match OEM stroke, not to exceed 330 cubic inches, stock cranks unmodified in any way and stock parts. 1(one ) unmodified 2-barrel carburetor of 500 cfm or less, unmodified in any way, with no more than a one inch spacer or one inch adapter under the carburetor. Cast iron heads and intake, flat top pistons only, maximum measured compression of 200 psi per cylinder, Any exhaust, any ignition. No aftermarket cranks. No bowtie or Dart heads. No VORTEC heads. No stroker motors, NO ROLLER components of any type!(NO ROLLER CAMS, NO ROLLER LIFTERS, NO ROLLER TIP ROCKERS) NO fuel injection OR turbo chargers.
3. 4 cylinder- experimental for 2002.
4. Flathead V-8- Flatheads can do anything they want, multi carbureted. Basically, whatever you can afford!
5. Transmissions- Any automatic with 9" minimun stock converter, not to exceed 3000 stall, i.e. Vega or Pinto. Any 3,4 or 5 speed with at least a 10" clutch. Clutch pedal or hand clutch allowed- with working reverse. No in and out boxes.
6. Rear ends- Any rear end, 3/4 ton truck, locked, or quick change are allowed. NO independent rear suspension allowed.
7. Driveshaft- must be painted white and must have driveshaft loop, not over 6" from front joint.
8. Must have a working starter.
9. Must run on pump gas. If you run racing fuel, please don't be upset if we check for pop up pistons.
DO NOT READ BETWEEN THE LINES. IF IT DOESN'T SAY YOU CAN DO IT....YOU CAN'T!!!
For guest racers, membership and preinspection is required. CONTACT US FIRST!! You can't just show up and expect to race. Your car MUST be inspected and approved. We will probably allow any vintage race car (1928-1948) that conforms to our rules to race with us,... IF YOUR CAR IS SAFE!!! . We will probably start any "new" (to us) driver at the rear. Click here to see our GOTRA racing schedule. Check our schedule often for changes!!! Click here for links to other great Racing Sites!!! Click here to return to the main page.